Harris Hawk Group Day 1 - Kirklees Estate

The weather for day one of the meeting was fantastic, the sort of day you dream of when flying your bird free for the first time.

No wind, cold and crisp but with beautiful  Autumn sunshine.

After a quick group photo and instructions from the field master we where on our way.

It was decided to fly the two male Harris first with one female leaving the remaining female to be flown later in the day so I could concentrate on beating for the group.

The first flight was on a hare which took everyone by surprise although short it  quickly made good it's escape.

The group were fired up and it was not long before the first pheasant a hen bird was put up and taken by Phill Turners bird Venom. 

The flights came thick and fast and Alan Horseman's juvenile Male was unlucky on more than a few occasions full of determination it flew everything that moved.

John Cunningham was also unlucky with his female Harris and it's hard to believe after so many good flights nothing further was added to the bag.

With the day drawing to a close it was decided to return to the vehicles and have a quick bite to eat and bring out the last remaining female to fly.

She followed on very well but we had one of those lulls you get where you all switch off and then we were treated to a long flight across an open field for the bird to crash through the smallest of gaps in the opposite wood to see a hen bird fly out leaving the Harris walking around on the floor.

After a quick tit bit the bird was encouraged to follow on as we headed back to the cars, fortunately we managed to put up another Hen bird which the Harris chased down the lane with plenty of vigour forcing it into cover through another wood.

The speed at which the Harris went in after it you knew there was a good chance she had it and sure enough that was the end result.

The bird was allowed to take a fill before trading her off and calling a end to what was a fantastic days hawking.

Written and submitted by

Alan Barnard President NEFC